In the mid 1990’s, you had to have permission from The National Heritage Board to excavate the ruins and it was the first excavation as more of the building’s remains were unearthed and preserved. Today Lillö is a popular part of Kristianstad´s ”water kingdom” and area to visit. The area is part of our cultural heritage and part of the biosphere Kristianstad´s ”Vattenrike”. At The Regional Museum in Kristianstad there are over 3000 objects excavated from Lillö castle. Inside the castle there is an exhibition on “Life on Lillö”. Nowadays, one can borrow the key to the castle from the visitor´s center ”Water Kingdom” in central Kristianstad. It´s possible to go in and see how life on Lillö could have been in those days.
In the mid 1300s Lillö was for the first time mention in written sources but the history of Lillö began in the 1200s. The knight Jacop Thott inherit Lillö and he was the first person to ever write about the place. The bail at Lillö was placed in a smart way because it was an important link between sea- and land transport and it was because of that the place usually was subjected to war.
The first house that was build at Lillö was a brick house that was surrounded by a quadrangular wall. The house has signs that tell us that it has been threw fire because the walls are covered with soot and carbon. They build u the bail again on the 1460s and the bail collapsed plenty of times but they always built it up again. The year 1525 the bail was burned down by a rebellious peasant army that wanted the king, Kristian the second, to take back the throne. When the bail once more was rebuilt the main building got five levels and two round corner towers and a stairwell. It was more building around the bail and a little outside it was storages and stalls.
During this time Lillö belonged to Denmark and Sweden hadn’t jet taken over Skåne. It was in the beginning of February the year was 1612 when Gustav the second Adolf and his troops ruled in Skåne. The national hove campion Beate Hvitfeldt protected Lillö successfully but it didn’t went that well because finally Lillö ended up in the hands of Sweden in 1658. When Sweden took over Skåne it was the Swedish king Karl X that gave the orders that the bail would be demolished because he considered the place a threat to Kristianstad. They strongly belived that the Danish people would start a war against Kristianstad. The bail wasn’t as easy to tear as they thought so they had to burn it down. So at pentecost 1659 the bail was burned down and the walls was disrupted.
At 1680s Lillö became a homestead for the military. There remunerated high militaries by running a farm and they got money from crop and animals instead of an ordinary salary. This system abolished at 1880 and ever since then Lillö was leased for farming.
At Lillö there also is a yellow half-timbered house that was build a little before 1677, it has been used among other things as a housing, build house and storage. It was a fire 1793 and then the half-timbered was the only building left.
At the year 1749 Carl Von Linné visits the place and discover the ruins that was barely visible above the ground. The bail was exhumes by archaeologists during the 1940s.
Författaren Sten Skansjö Professor em.i History